From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2011 14:48:12 -0500
Twain seemed always to be suffering from bronchitis or carbuncles, neither
of which are caused by mercury so far as I know, and both were common
ailments in those days, from common causes having nothing to do with heavy
metals. Twain also had high exposure to lead dust by virtue of his early
typesetting days, but his health issues don't  seem evidence of
lead-poisoning either. In fact, for a heavy-smoking 19th century person he
lived a long active life. I understand he had unimpaired mental acuity as
well.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books