From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:34:30 +0000
Dear forum members--

I append the Mark Twain Circle's call for ALA

Mark Twain Circle  -- Call for proposals, ALA 2019

American Literature Association conference, Boston, May 23-26, 2019
 (for info copy and paste:   americanliteratureassociation.org )

The Mark Twain Circle is accepting proposals for paper presentations for two panels:

1. In recognition of the grim fact that 2019 marks the 400th anniversary of the African slave trade in colonies that would become the United States, while 2018 marked the 150th anniversary of the ratification of the 14thAmendment to the Constitution, panel one will focus on Mark Twain’s engagement with issues of slavery, abolition, race, and racism in the United States.  We invite proposals that critically analyze how Twain’s texts represent these topics in complex ways—literarily, politically, historically, or any combination. Papers that deal with aspects of race and gender are especially welcome.

2.  Panel two is an open call for papers on any aspect of Mark Twain’s life and work.  We are eager to include presenters who are interested in continuing the tradition of performance of Twain texts under the auspices of the “Mark Twain Players.”

We enthusiastically encourage junior and emerging scholars to present their work.  Graduate students chosen to present may apply for a grant from Mark Twain Circle’s Louis Budd Travel Fund to help defray some of the costs of attending the conference.

While we seek submissions without restriction, all presenters must be active members of the Mark Twain Circle at the time of the conference (information about membership is available at our website -- marktwaincircle.org ). Presentations sponsored by the Mark Twain Circle are often developed into articles that appear in the Mark Twain Annual, published by Penn State University Press.

Send proposals (400 words or fewer) by January 2, 2019 to Larry Howe, president of the Mark Twain Circle ([log in to unmask]).

Best,

--LH

Larry Howe
Professor of English & Film Studies