From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 17:16:10 -0500
I am organizing one of the Mark Twain Circle panels for the American
Literature Association meeting in San Diego, May 28-31, 1998.  The panel is
entitled "Performing Dialect in _Huckleberry Finn_."  This will be a
workshop on performing dialect in the classroom as an important part of
teaching the novel.  Dennis Eddings and I will be two of the participants,
and we need one more.  The panelists will take turns reading various
dialect passages, and discussind the way we arrive at these performances,
as well as the way our dialect reading helps us interpret the characters
and teach the novel.  We will also have discussion and participation from
the audience, with volunteers reading passages aloud.

I need someone who is confident and competent in reading dialect aloud,
even someone who might be considered a bit of a ham (like me and Dennis!).
I would especially appreciate a participant who is black and/or a woman, to
balance out these white male voices. (But I really want the best possible
performer.)

If you are interested and available to go to San Diego in May, please
e-mail me ASAP (I need to get the names to Michael Kiskis by January 20).
A short message outlining your qualifications and interest in dialect would
help me make the decision.  Or if you know of someone else you think would
be qualified, please send me their names or have them contact me. Thanks!

John Bird