From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2015 13:29:40 -0400
Twain actually wrote instructions on how to elicit laughter from silence and the psychology that drives it.
Anyone interested in the subject might also find a useful reference in Piddington’s “The Psychology of Laughter” (Gamut Press 1963).

The first time I used the methods which Twain described and Holbrook has mastered was a leap of faith. But it works every time.

On Apr 13, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Folks, in the spirit of the many reviews of Twain performance gracing our
> list recently--
>
> A brief review of MT Tonight, @ UMSL in St. Louis on Saturday April 11:
>
> The show was spectacular.  I've actually never seen any one-person show,
> and until Saturday had never seen Hal Holbrook's performance of MT
> Tonight.
>
> To cut to the chase:  it was spellbinding; and the talent to pull that off
> is really off the charts.  Imagine doing that at 90!!  I hope you will all
> recognize my gratitude and compliments to Hal.  It was very cool hearing
> many famous passages delivered from a walking and talking near-version of
> Twain.
>
> In particular I was mesmerized by Hal's use of the moments of silence --
> including the Jim Blaine tale when the actor pretends to fall asleep.  The
> way he takes on the character fully is really quite a spectacle.  The
> audience seems uncertain what exactly is happening.  There is much laughter
> as confused observers squirm in their seats.  The dramatization of Huck
> Finn (the feud scenes with Grangerfords & Shepherdsons) was quite long but
> extremely powerful.
>
> All in all, I suspect I will remember the performance for a very long time,
> and I am grateful I made the time and arrangements to see it.  Highly
> recommended!
>
> -hb
>
> --
> Prof. Harold K. Bush