From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2023 10:56:48 -0700
Rather than omnibuses, I found this bit:

The horse-drawn streetcar was the standard mode of mass transit in New
York City for over fifty years until steam (starting in 1883) and
electric (1890) powered trolleys edged onto the scene, followed by the
growth of the subway starting in 1903. The era of the horse-drawn
streetcar ended on July 26, 1917 with the closure of the Bleecker Street
line. By 1912, cars outnumbered horses in New York City, and trolleys
met their demise at the hands of the automobile and Robert Moses several
decades later.

https://www.villagepreservation.org/2018/11/14/the-birth-of-mass-transit-in-nyc/

--
/Unaffiliated Geographer and Twain aficionado/