From:
David Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:16:51 -0500
Thanks for the question. Interesting ! I think a key point to factor in
is that it is an *annual* award.

We could perhaps think of it (intended) as the Nobel prize of humor. Or
suppose there was a Gandhi prize for non-violence? (Maybe there is such
a prize, I don't know. If not, more's the pity) But in such a scenario,
no one could possibly be expected, each year, to measure up as "another
Gandhi." But they could achieve *something* towards that ideal.

Similarly, I don't see the award-givers as suggesting that Billy Crystal
is "another Twain." That would be absurd. They are observing that he is
a person of  enduring accomplishments in that field.

(A statement with one may agree or not, as a question of taste; but
certainly, it is his line of work...)

DDD