From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2020 01:26:24 +0000
Ben Griffin mentioned FACTS BY A WOMAN (1881). The source at UV says it
was written by Harriet Wasson, but my catalogue notes say the author was
Harriet Wasson Styer (1842-1921) so I'll need to resolve that possible
conflict. Maybe she married; she was not married at the time she was a
book agent in California.

The one Barb mentions is an eccentric account, and I don't think
mentions actually selling books by Twain, but the false claim is made
that Twain was once a book agent.

I can add a third: Elizabeth Lindley's DIARY OF A BOOK AGENT (1912).
It's of special interest because she was selling books in Hartford, and
tried to sell a set of Twain's books to a fellow-who was, unbeknown to
her--a friend of Twain. The fellow declined, but suggested she go to a
particular address and offer a set to one Samuel Clemens, who would very
likely be interested in Mark Twain's books. She fell for the trick, not
knowing who this Clemens fellow was. At least, that's the story she
tells in her book.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books