Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:28:01 EDT
Fellow Twainiacs --
     It's my understanding Sam didn't take to the allegedly signature white
suit until 1906, when he went to Washington to testify about proposed
changes
in copywright law. I remember every respectable biographer, from Kaplan to
Shelley and Ron Powers, writing something about this. The weather was still
warm,
apparently, so like most Southerners, he went for the practical.
     Still, any theories on how that suit became so much a part of his
public
persona?
     I have in my possession a doll made by the now defunct Effanbee
Company,
which has Sam clad in a white suit, with vest, and a burgundy cravat. It's
at
least 20 years old, as is the piece of string licorice I used to make him a
cigar.

Kathy O'Connell,
still in search of gainful, maybe even fun, employment