From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:21:12 -0500
I grew up in Indianapolis and then spent many years living in southern
Indiana, which also has a very strong "southern-country" accent.  The
so-called "Indianapolis" accent of natives like Jane Pauley and David
Letterman is sometimes considered close to the pure, "national" accent used
by newscasters on national programs.  So there is a very large difference
within the state itself, mostly reflecting the regional differences.

What I want to say is this:  whatever we might conceive to be a "southern"
accent goes pretty far north.  In both Indiana and Illinois, there are
distinctly southern and northern sections.  Native Hoosiers, for instance,
are all quite cognizant of the differences between the sound of language in
the "region" (next to Chicago, featuring cities like Gary and Hammond), in
Indy,  and in the southern hill country.  3 distinct sounds.

They tried to pick up some of that southern accent in the film "Hoosiers,"
which is set in southern Indiana, and got some of it right.

Main point:  many northern, pro-Union states also feature "southern"
accents, especially in their southern halves.

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University