From:
Iain Halliday <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 10:50:46 +0200
Does anyone know the publishing history of the essay "English As She Is
Taught", dated 1887 in the collection in which I came across it? (I've
already tried our library, which has limited resources, and interrogating
the Mark Twain Forum logs, but haven't been able to find anything.) I'd like
to know because I'm thinking of using the piece in a class next year. Twain
makes mention in the text of two other spoofs, "English As She Is Wrote" and
"English As She Is Spoke". Were these widely known contemporary
publications, or were they written by Twain himself, or is Twain just
pulling legs?

Iain Halliday
University of Catania, Sicily