Sender:
From:
Bill duhigg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 21:10:21 -0500
Our Iowa cousins' recently cleaned their attic and gave us a small trunk of
family papers among which was a deed from 1855 at the
bottom of which is printed "Clemens Printer, Keokuk".  Being a proud owner
of two dozen UC Press MT volumes, this find was rather
exciting.  I've been in touch with the folks at the MT Project and have sent
pictures.  The deed is one of 3 or 4 known examples of
Orion's printing from Keokuk.  Also working for Orion at the time were his
brothers Sam and Henry and Dick Hingham.

At least ten very different typefaces were used to print the document.  Can
any members of this Forum enlighten me on printing
styles of the 1850's?  Was such variety common?  (Or did the type-setter say
to himself:  "Ooo, I'll try this one next, never used
it before.")  Orion's letterhead (reproduced in Letters Vol. 1, p 64) has
examples of some of the typefaces used and suggests that
he liked variety.

I also need help naming the faces.  I've spent many hours at the Cleveland
Public Library and can properly describe their features
and general styles but proper names, as used in the 1850's, elude me.

I could also use an appraisal if there are any 'Twainiana' experts out
there.

Thank you,
Bill Duhigg