From:
Bill Rizzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:39:26 -0700
Rhoda Newman wrote:
> According to local newspaper accounts, a Hope-Jones organ was installed in
> Ocean Grove, NJ's Great Auditorium in 1908 at a cost of $26,000 "half of
> which was donated by the organ company, of which Mark Twain was one of the
> officials."
>
> Nothing on this transaction shows up on the LISTSERV database, and, alas, I
> do not have access to Machlis'  Union  Catalog of Clemens letters.

        I have no direct info on MT's association, but Ocean Grove (or Ocean
Grave as we locals referred to it) is an interesting place.  It's right
next to Asbury Park, NJ and was begun as a summer camp-meeting revival
association (Methodist, I believe).  For years no car traffic was
allowed in Ocean Grove on Sundays.  The Asbury Park Press sued to allow
Sunday delivery, and another quaint tradition went down the tubes.

        I used to play in the Ocean Grove summer band on the boardwalk.  There
used to be organ recitals on summer weekends in the huge hall.  I don't
know for sure, but that organ might still be there.  The town served as
the locale for Woody Allen's Stardust Memories, and was visited by
President Nixon, who flew in by helicopter.  Almost certainly not on
Sunday!

> Does anyone have any information on Twain's association with the organ
> company, or on any association with Ocean Grove, NJ.  U.S. Grant, who had a
> home in neighboring Elberon, NJ,  was a frequent visitor in his later years.

        Elberon is nearby, to the north, but is not a neighbor.  Ocean Grove is
bordered by Asbury Park to the north and Belmar to the south.

--
Bill Rizzi      [log in to unmask]              Software Services
    Z           http://www.softserv.com/~rizzi  Santa Barbara, CA