From:
Steve Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2017 23:46:21 +0000
Kevin, your mention of Milton -- and all discussions of wildly un-Clemens-like Mark Twain quotes -- puts me in mind of Clemens's own fake quotes, written for the dinner menu for a meeting of the Society of the Army of the Potomac in Hartford in June 1881.  Twichell glued it into his journal. It includes this Milton quotation, under "Strawberries with  Cream":

"GIve me my choice between New England breakfast-pie and liver and I should take strawberries and cream every time." -- John Milton

My favorite is allegedly a quotation from "Brer. Talmadge," presumably the Rev. T. DeWitt Talmadge, a prominent evangelistic minister of the era. The dish is "Mayonnaise of Chicken and Lobster Salad":

"I can never look upon a mayonnaise of chicken without the solemn thought that the same Power which enables me to eat and enjoy a mayonnaise of chicken could have enabled the mayonnaise of chicken to eat and enjoy me; and how humbly, and unceasingly and prayerfully grateful we ought all to be that it was changed around to the way it is now." -- Brer. Talmadge

Steve Courtney
Curatorial Special Projects
The Mark Twain House & Museum
351 Farmington Avenue