From:
MARC KOECHIG <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 04:37:25 -0800
Reproduced below is the onloy information I could find on the official
Bermuda touism site (http://www.bermudatourism.com/docs/index2.html). My
wife and I will be taking a cruise to Hamilton and St. George's in October,
so thanks for the prod that got me to look this up before the last minute.
Flatts Village referenced below is located on the south shore of Harrington
Sound, southwest of St. George's.

Marc

Verdmont Museum

Among Flatts's early tourists was American author Mark Twain. In the late
1800s, he stayed here at the home of U.S. Consul General Charles Maxwell
Allen. Twain often could be found reading or writing under a large mahogany
tree on the grounds of Palmetto Gardens. That tree stands today.

Through the centuries, Flatts never lost its sense of history. The area, in
fact, is home to more than a dozen historic buildings. Most are privately
owned, but you can - and should - visit Verdmont, a classic 18th-century
Georgian mansion. A Bermuda National Trust property, the house boasts a
superb collection of antiques, including English and Chinese porcelain and
Bermuda cedar furniture. In addition, Verdmont is surrounded by an old
walled garden full of trees, shrubs and flowers known to be growing in
Bermuda 300 years ago.

Verdmont, which also features breathtaking ocean views, is at the top of
Collector's Hill on Sayle Road in Smiths Parish. It's open Tuesdays through
Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Marcus W. Koechig