From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:56:10 -0800
I'm afraid "densekelly" didn't quite catch Kent's satiric intent here, much as
some of the reading public has failed to catch Twain's in HF.  All of which
prompts me to unload a few observations about the current controversy over
Alan's book:

1.  The rough language in "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" gives the book a lot
of its power and authenticity.  (I take that as axiomatic, & have argued the
point briefly in my "Is Huck Finn Racist?" web page, which has been online for
about 15 years.)

2.  A sanitized version is a poor substitute for the real thing.

3.  A skilled, sensitive teacher can place the book that "all modern American
literature comes from" in its historical and literary context and provide a
deeply enriching experience even for students who may be reluctant to open it.

On the other hand:

5.  There are classroom situations where the real book will never get a fair
hearing, for all kinds of real-world reasons, such as teachers who are NOT
skilled or sensitive (yes, Virginia, there are such people); parental and/or
administrative hysteria; students (or parents) who are so put off by "nigger"
that nothing else can get through to them (and who I believe are well within
their rights, by the way); and of course, grandstanding politicians.

6.  As a result, thousands of kids are just plain never going to see the book in
school.

7.  Alan's edition may allow these kids at least some access -- if regrettably
attenuated -- to a great book.

I would add that the publication of a "sanitized" HF is NOT censorship.
Censorship is what happened to Pasternak and Solzhenitzin in the USSR.
 Huckleberry Finn is readily available and always will be.  They've been
printing watered-down Huckleberry Finns for nearly a century (see the 2006
edition from Sterling Press if you want a real cringe-worthy experience); Alan's
edition may be the only such version that admits to being what it is and
explains the reasons -- and, presumably, urges readers, when/if they're ready,
to go out and read Mark Twain's own version.

Pete

Peter Salwen |  114 W 86th Street, New York, NY 10024
cell 917-620-5371  |  212-873-1944  |  www.salwen.com

"New Year's Day-- Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good
resolutions.  Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."  -- Mark
Twain

www.MarkTwainsNewYork.com