From:
Peter Messent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 12:10:23 +0100
I know Twain was writing 'The German Chicago' from December 1891 and into
1892,
and I know it was for the S. S. McClure Syndicate, but I can't find out in
the
sources at hand where and when exactly it first appeared in print prior to
'The
Million Pound Bank-Note' collection. I'd be grateful for the information.
Also
does Twain comment anywhere (including in his letters) on American 'shock
cities'
like Chicago and New York and what modernization means. I can't think of
anything
but that doesn't mean it don't exist.... Thanks