From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2019 08:04:55 +0000
Folks, we spent a splendid afternoon yesterday in the Leopold Museum in Vienna, which featured among other things amazing turn of the century works by the likes of Klimt, Schiele, and many others.  The museum (if you happen to be nearby) is doing a special exhibition called Vienna 1900, including info of the "Secession" of 1897 -- all of which must have been a scene of amazing cultural explosion, during the almost 2 years of MT's residency there 1897-99.  In one title MT even referred to the "stirring times" but mainly in regards to heated political upheaval.

I wonder how much connection MT had with the Christian Social group, and/or the Secession group of artists and other radicals??  I was jazzed by the great exhibition and thus wondered how "stirring" he found some of the visual art, street signage, and so forth...?

Anyway:  surfing some articles this morning one these topics, one person suggested MT's possible (though still undocumented, so far as I know) meeting with Freud and the effects on the later writing (which Carl Dolmetsch describes in detail in his book Our Famous Guest); but another more interesting article related to the MT--rise of German & Austrian fascism connection, as described by Rebecca West.  I though some readers on here might like to see it, from Literary Hub a couple years ago.

https://lithub.com/did-mark-twain-anticipate-the-nazis/

[https://s26162.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/o-MARK-TWAIN-facebook.jpg]<https://lithub.com/did-mark-twain-anticipate-the-nazis/>

Did Mark Twain Anticipate the Nazis? | Literary Hub<https://lithub.com/did-mark-twain-anticipate-the-nazis/>
lithub.com
Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window) Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window) More

Dr. Hal Bush

Dept. of English

Saint Louis University

314-977-3616