From:
Ellen Komp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:21:25 -0700
I expect the usual resistance, but please read on at the link for the
case I make. Comments welcomed.

I remind you Twain said:

"I am confident that if any of my tribe had been in the Garden of Eden
when that injunction was served they would never have contented
themselves with just one apple. They would have eaten the whole crop."

Does anyone know more about Twain's arrest in New York in 1867?

(There is a typo in the article; Twain came to SF in 1863, not 1833)

--Ellen

What Made America's Most-Loved Humorist So Funny?
By Ellen Komp, Cannabis Culture - Thursday, September 15 2011
Mark Twain turned to writing humor after meeting the author of The
Hasheesh Eater in San Francisco – and possibly trying it himself.

This Saturday will be the anniversary of a certain stoned stroll down
Clay Street in San Francisco in the '60s – the 1860s, that is. The San
Francisco Dramatic Chronicle (which you can hold in your hands today
as the Chronicle) ran this little item on Sept. 18, 1865:

"It appears that a "Hasheesh" mania has broken out among our
Bohemians. Yesterday, Mark Twain and the "Mouse-Trap" man  were seen
walking up Clay street under the influence of the drug, followed by a
"star," who was evidently laboring under a misapprehension as to what
was the matter with them."

What a tantalizing tidbit from the town once called Yerba Buena that,
a century later, became known as the place where hipsters wore flowers
in their hair.

Read more: http://cannabisculture.com/v2/content/2011/09/15/What-Made-Americas-Most-Loved-Humorist-So-Funny