Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 17:27:10 EDT
In a message dated 5/4/99 12:21:46 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< San Francisco is
too self-absorbed to even realize that he ever lived and wrote there. >>

I will have to admit that Twain is not the cottage industry in San Francisco
that he is in Elmira, Hannibal, and Hartford, but we do have a Mark Twain
High School, a Mark Twain Street and plenty of references to his time in
town
in all the histories.

As with New York City, we know that he was here and we are proud of our
association with him, but Twain's time here is not the defining moment in
the
life of this city.

Self-absorbed? Well, we do keep busy.

Dennis Kelly