From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:20:50 -0400
From:                   John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To:                     Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Books involving Elmira?.....
Date sent:              Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:59:11 -0400

Although the story does not state its general setting, "A True
Story" apparently begins and ends on the porch of Quarry Farm in
Elmira. The servant of the Cranes, Twain's in-laws who lived there,
Annie Cord (I believe I am correct about her name) told the original
story which he transformed into "A True Story."  When one sees
the front porch of the house, one can easily imagine the family
seated there and on the steps talking and listening as they gazed
over the long sloping front lawn toward the trees, river, and
mountains beyond. Our imaginations, with equal ease, can place
the people as Twain describes them.  Most of the story, the interior
frame, is set farther south.

John H. Davis, Ph.D.
English Division
Chowan College