From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 07:38:23 -0700
1.  Considering their similarities in subject matter, their overlapping
circles of acquaintances, and the relative smallness of the
Victorian/American artistic world, it seems highly unlikely that
Mark Twain and Winslow Homer didn't know each other.  Yet I can find no
proof that they did.  (There seem to be no letters to or from Winslow
Homer in the database of correspondence at the Mark Twain Project.)  Can
anyone provide evidence of friendship or even contact between them?

2.  I'm almost sure I recall an old paperback edition of TOM SAWYER with
Homer's "Snap the Whip" on the cover.  Can anyone verify that edition,
or tell me of any other editions of Twain's books with cover art or
other illustrations by Winslow Homer?

3.  Here's my non-Homeric query:  Can anyone give me basic information
on George Warner, Clemens's Nook Farm friend and neighbor, beyond what
is in Kenneth Andrews' book, NOOK FARM:  Mark Twain's Hartford Circle?
Andrews focuses so much on relatioships and affinities that he too often
ignores "trivia" like when George (or his wife Lilly) was born
and died, or what George did for a living.

I'll greatly appreciate all help or leads on any of these questions.

Mark Coburn