From:
"Carl J. Chimi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2019 08:45:26 -0400
Wow!

My wife and I were in Hannibal about a month ago, as part of a trip to
Kansas from Pennsylvania.  We only had a day, but went to the cave, Lovers
Leap, the lighthouse, and the house.  I poked my nose into the drugstore,
which seemed to be undergoing some renovations.  A man was working in there
and noticed my nosiness; he very amiably suggested we come back later, as he
was setting the place up.  Engaging in conversation, I was startled to
realize he was Henry Sweets, the director of the museum.  If what we saw of
him that day is any indication, as director all these years he's not been a
"suit" in an office, but rather a hands-on, dirty fingernails, man of the
people sort of guy.  We liked him immediately, and enjoyed hearing how he
came to be director and swapping tales of our life long interests in Mark
Twain.

I feel happy that I got to meet Henry, if only briefly, while he's still
director, and a bit confused as to why someone so youthful and energetic
would be retiring.  After all, Henry, it's only been 41 years!

Carl