Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 2020 12:06:09 -0700
The first two days of Mark Twain's Long Trip through Syria have me a
bit confused.  They report departing Beirut on Wednesday at 3pm and
camping at Temnin al Faouqa by 6pm.  That's a journey of 36 miles.
Fears has the first camp a mere 10 miles from Beirut, likely at
Broumanna.  This require a second day journey to Zahlah, near Temnin al
Faouqa, of 24 miles.  Then, an additonal 21.3 miles to Baalbek.

If we have the pilgrims journey from Beirut to Temnin al Faouqa on the
first day, that journey would be 36 miles and likely require more than
3 hours to do it in (3 pm to 6 pm? - not likely)

If we have the pilgrims camp just ten miles from Beirut on the first
night, they would need to travel 45 miles on the second day.  Again,
not likely.

The party needs to be at Baalbek by Thursday in order to make sense of
the need to compress the three day required to reach Damascus into two
days (Friday and Saturday) in order for the pilgrims to "keep the
Sabbath".

https://twainsgeography.com/content/innocents-journey-through-holy-land