From:
Emory Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:37:45 -0800
Could anyone help my colleague Dr. Howard Broday who is a Visitin
gProfessor at my campus?

Thanks,

Emory Elliott

******
Howard writes:

Query to the Mark Twain list-serv

I am interested in the placebo effect and wish in some of my future writing
on the subject to use the following anecdote, taken from a newsletter which
did not supply a scholarly citation:

The Summer 2000 issue of "The Lown Forum" from the Lown Cardiovascular
Research Foundation contains an article by Dr. Bernard Lown on "The Placebo:
Much Ado About Something."   Dr. Lown begins with an anecdote involving Mark
Twain when the author put up in a cheap hotel in Mississippi one sweltering
summer night.  He was exhausted but found he could not get to sleep in the
oppressive, stagnant air of his room.  Finally he became so desperate and
frustrated that he hurled a shoe against the window.  He heard the
shattering of glass and immediately felt a cool breeze wafting off the river
outside.  He turned over contentedly and immediately fell asleep.

Next morning, Twain awoke and began to look around to see what damage he had
caused.  He saw his shoe on the floor-- beneath a shattered mirror, which
had been placed right next to the still-intact, still-closed window.

I would be very grateful for guidance as to which volume of Twain's work
contains this story.  Please reply directly to me at:

as I am not a subscriber to the listserv.

Thank you very much.

Howard Brody MD, PhD
Family Practice/Center for Ethics and Humanities, Michigan State University
Visiting Faculty, Center for Ideas and Society, UC-Riverside

Emory Elliott
Department of English
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521