From:
David Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:26:56 -0500
The context is SLC, talking with R L Stevenson... "...and bearing such
titles as Davis's Selected Speeches, Davis's Selected Poetry, Davis's
this and Davis's that and Davis's the other thing, compilations every
one of them, each with a brief, compact, intelligent and useful
introductory chapter by this same Davis, whose first name I have
forgotten."

They go on to identify this Davis as a premier example of "submerged
renown," an interesting phrase indeed.

I haven't been able to find these books, or this author, in WorldCat or
anywhere else. Surely no relation ;-) , but does anyone have an idea of
who this best-selling 19th-century Davis The Compiler was? I don't see
any web references to these works, except that one in the Autobiography.

Thanks, and happy holidays.

DDD