From:
Larry Marshburne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:33:15 -0800
I must disagree with Duane that the word's meaning has
changed.  I believe it has always meant, and still
means, a person who is or would be—in a world run in
strict accordance to God's will—a slave.  (Please note
that I'm not giving my personal belief of the natural
order of things!)

Unfortunately, our social context is not that much
different from Mark Twain's.  Actually there's perhaps
an unwelcome parallel.  Gains and optimism of the
1960s are perhaps eroding as gains and optimism of the
1860s were eroding.  The word, whether I use it or
not, whether I wish to give it power or not, still has
power.  The novel, read to 7-year-olds or to
70-year-olds, still has power, too.

Thanks,

Larry