From:
Jim Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:25:51 -0400
The quotation itself apparently is taken from the movie The Adventures
of Mark Twain, and the speaker is "Mark Twain" as character in that
movie.  Here's the dialogue as I captured it from a website on the
movie:

----------------------

Becky Thatcher: Well, Tom and Huck and I, well, see, we're not so
sure...

Mark Twain: That l know what I'm doing up here? Angelfish, it's just
like piloting a river. You get to know the shape of it. Like following a
hall at home in the dark. And even if you feel some fear, you know no
harm can come to you because you've traveled that hallway a hundred
times in nothing but bare feet and faith.

----------------------

This appears to be an adaptation of the passage from chapter 8
(Perplexing Lessons) of Life on the Mississippi, in which Mr. Bixby is
instructing the cub pilot:

----------------------

'My boy, you've got to know the SHAPE of the river perfectly. It is all
there is left to steer by on a very dark night. Everything else is
blotted out and gone. But mind you, it hasn't the same shape in the
night that it has in the day-time.'

'How on earth am I ever going to learn it, then?'

'How do you follow a hall at home in the dark. Because you know the
shape of it. You can't see it.'

'Do you mean to say that I've got to know all the million trifling
variations of shape in the banks of this interminable river as well as I
know the shape of the front hall at home?'

'On my honor, you've got to know them BETTER than any man ever did know
the shapes of the halls in his own house.'

--Jim Leonard