From:
Ric Dragon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:50:24 -0500
-- [ From: Ric Dragon * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Date: Friday, 12-Jan-96 09:36 AM

From: J. Coan                  \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask])
To:   Twain                    \ Internet:    ([log in to unmask])

Subject: Twain and the Confederate army

I have read that Twain was a confederate soldier for a brief period. Does he
discuss this anywhere autobiographically?  I'm interested in his motivations
for joining up, his conclusions regarding the experience, etc...  I believe
he also claims to have shot a man.  Is this true?

Jim Coan [log in to unmask] University of Washington

From _The Autobiography of Mark Twain_, Charles Neider, ed.,:

<  In June I joined the Confederates in Ralls County, Missouri, as a second
lieutenant under General Tom Harris and came near having the distinction of
being captured by Colonel Ulysses S. Grant.  I resigned after two weeks
service in the field, explaining that I was "incapacitated by fatigue"
through persistent retreating.>

--
Ric Dragon