From:
Jim Leonard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2017 18:51:39 +0000
A nice tidbit for the Adelaide reviewer, but evidently not heavy on accurate facts.  According to the U of C edition of Twain's notebooks (vol. 1), a pertinent notebook entry records, "Wrote this story for Artemus [Ward]--his idiot publisher, Carleton gave it to [Henry] Clapp's Saturday Press [not the Saturday Gazette]" (p. 80).  The Saturday Press did cease publication in 1866, but Twain's 1865 sketch apparently wasn't in the last issue.  And the jumping frog, far from killing it, was a great success.  Also, Twain refers to the Smiley character in early notes as "Coleman," but there are no references (so far as I know) to "Greeley."  As we know, Twain cared a lot more about telling a good story than sticking to the sort of dreary facts I'm offering here.  By the way, Twain's 1894 "Private History of the 'Jumping Frog' Story" relates a version of the story's composition that combines elements of the notebook entries with the "snapper" (killing the Press/Gazette) that he would again use for the Adelaide reviewer the following year.   --Jim L.