Sender: Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Melton, Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 20:00:49 +0000
The following Calls for Papers may be of interest to members of the forum.

The American Humor Studies Association seeks abstracts for three sessions at the
American Literature Association annual conference in Boston, May 25-28, 2017.
Send 300-word abstracts or questions to:
Jeffrey Melton ([log in to unmask])
DUE DATE: 10 January 2017

1) "Dirty Words: Profanity, Power, and American Humor"
AHSA welcomes submissions that explore any facet of profanity as a rhetorical force in American humor.  Abstracts may propose focused analyses of specific texts from any time frame or medium as well as theoretical considerations of profanity as tied to literary, linguistic, and/or comedic form and structure. Potential participants should feel free to blur distinctions between literary humor and popular culture as they examine the power of profanity to subvert normal structures and expectations.

2) "Open-topic"
AHSA encourages submissions on any topic related to American humor for this session.

3) "Humor and Travel"
"I just flew in from Miami Beach, and, boy, are my arms tired"-We welcome papers focusing on individual authors/travelers from any time period as well as conceptual or theoretical discussions that consider the intersections between travel experiences and expressions of humor.
----
Jeffrey Melton