From:
Peter Salwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:23:41 -0500
To me, that would seem to be something of an overreaction.

Truth is, I happen to be acquainted with both these gentlemen (yes, they
are, really) and I believe they both have made and continue to make
important contributions to Mark Twain studies.

If they feel the need to go at each other for a bit, that doesn't bother me
in the least; in fact, I find it more educational than anything else.  And
if I do find their exchange distasteful, I'm perfectly free not to read it.
(Come to think of it, the boys are actually quite restrained compared with
the way MT went on about Charley Webster!)

Of course, I'm from New York City, and around here we generally regard such
interchanges as a rather mild species of street theatre.

Happy New Year to all.

Pete Salwen