From:
"J.Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:15:16 -0500
I don't believe the world suffered unduly because Margaret Truman sang.
Harry thought she was pretty good, and he was right about most things.

I've never heard Clara sing, but now that you brought it up, I would be
curious to hear her, myself.  Surely there are recordings out there
somewhere.  Anyone know where?

Also, some time back, there was some discussion of what Twain's voice
sounded like.  I, too, searched for a sound file of Twain's voice, but,
despite seeing several references to Twain having used early recording
devices to dictate some of his work, apparently none of the cylinders
have come to light and have not, apparently, survived.  There is a 9
minute recording of the 19th Century actor William Gillette, who grew
up near Twain, and knew him well, doing an impersonation of him that I
believe is accepted as being as close as possible to the way Twain
spoke.  It is much slower than most current portrayers of Twain speak,
to my ear, and would be in line with the description of Twain's speech
being at the speed of about three words a minute.

Does anyone know where the entire 9 minute recording could be
downloaded?  I have heard about 3 minutes of it, but would really like
to hear the rest.  For those who don't know, it's Gillette telling the
Jumping Frog story.

Jerry