From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 02:15:26 EDT
Barb

The note on this page says Edward "Ned" Howard had  been Sam's "reluctant
travel companion in Hawaii in June 1866." Howard was a  guest at the Volcano
house (and perhaps even the "stranger named Marlette"  Sam wrote about in
Roughing
It. ) Check volume 1 of the  letters, p 346 note 10.

 In June of 1866 Sam stayed at the Volcano House  from Sunday, June 3rd to
Thursday, June 7th. From the 8th to the 15th of June,  Sam rode 200 miles by
horseback all around the island. Anson Burlingame's son  was a companion for
part
of this trip. I don't find any other references to  Howard, so I have to
conclude that he only accompanied Sam a short time. It's  possible too that
he was
among those who did not want to continue to the lava  beds with Sam and the
"stranger" Marlette. I've suspected for some time that  either Sam invented
Marlette or changed the name.

David H  Fears