From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 18:44:10 -0800
Ben, I'll take mine with garlic, thanks.

The racial language and terminology issue is historically fascinating.  Almost
all the racial terms that are embraced in one era were vilified or considered
offensive in another.  One of the reasons for the power of "nigger" as a word is
that it has maintained its offense for at least 200 years.

In a play by a white author from Philadelphia in the early nineteenth century (I
can look up the title if anyone is interested), the word is clearly used and
accepted by the characters as "fightin' words."  No explanation is seen as
necessary, and the word is the only provocation for a fight.

But then the minstrel shows came along, and they were called "nigger shows" when
the blackface actors were white.  References in the shows and in advertising to
African American blackface actors always refers to them as "colored," and many
African American blackface performers billed themselves as "genuine colored"
performers.  Then later there were the "Coon shouters" (white women singing
songs by African American composers, usually in dialect), and the general use of
"coon" to refer to African Americans, which seems to have been seen as fairly
benign during part of the late nineteenth century, but quickly became horrific
as the age of lynching progressed.

(Note:  I've students today who try to explain to me that they're not really
saying what I think they are, that the "new" word they're using is actually
"nigga," which is somehow not insulting, is totally new, I'm assured, and
completely different.  They are shocked when I pull out a white blackface
minstrel songsheet from the 1870s that uses "nigga" prominently in the title.)

And partly because of the minstrel shows, there were efforts to claim the word
as somehow empowering, or at least dangerous.  I found one song
sheet--hand-written in about 1870--and so far as I can tell, it was performed
but never published.  It's called "Never Give a Nigger a Gun."  The song
essentially says:  We fought in your war, you armed us.  You want the gun back?
Come and get it.

There was also some effort in the nineteenth century to use "Afro American" but
there were strong objections from many who found the term inaccurate, as I
recall, and also felt that it was tainted by the "back to Africa" sorts of
movements, insinuating that "colored" Americans were somehow not fully American
and should "go back where they belong," even though they had been in America for
more generations than many of the people spouting the arguments (again, I'd need
to look back in my notes for the precise nature of the objections).

And around the turn of the century, according to renowned blues singer and
composer Alberta Hunter (also the creator of the dance the "Black Bottom" in the
'20s, the word "black" itself was fighting words in 1903.  In describing a
mortician who worked in her Beale Street neighborhood as a child, she says, "He
was a tall black man.  If you called him black in those days, you'd have your
head cut off.  We used to resent that.  We didn't want people to call us
black."

Throughout the twentieth century, there have also been many shifts back and
forth:  "black," "colored," "Negro," etc. all were empowering or respectful at
various times and demeaning at others.  A note, though--so far as I have been
able to learn, the nineteenth century term "darky" (which Mary Mapes Dodge put
in _Tom Sawyer Abroad_, raising Twain's ire) was only thought to be polite by
white people.  It was, so far as I can tell, always seen as demeaning by African
Americans.

The problem is that so long as racism remains, so long as the racial
classifications are not ones of cultural appreciation, any term becomes tainted
eventually.  When people mean "the n-word" inside, no matter what term they use
aloud, eventually the term carries the same pain.  William Dean Howells's
introduction to Paul Laurence Dunbar's "Lyrics of Lowly Life" is a strong and
excruciatingly painful example of this.  Dunbar's stylistic response to
Howells's underlying racism is brilliant, but the introduction is dreadful to
read now.

To me, this is part of what Twain reminds us of so painfully 219 times in
_Adventures of Huckleberry Finn_.  And when students are hurt by reading it in a
classroom, it isn't the racism of another era that bothers them.  It is the pain
of what the word means individually, now.  And the fear of what it might mean to
the people all around you.

Sharon