From:
doug bridges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:16:04 -0800
Sure Mark Twain was rough on the red man--and on the
white man, and on Everyman. Note what he has to say in
general about the "damned human race" all through his
career. He was dissappointed in the race; if he was a
"racist" at all it was racism applied to the whole
race, not just one color. Twain's aspiration that man
be better than he was and his dissappointment that he
was not (is not) reflect Twain's idealism and his
awareness of how far we all have fallen short of the
glory that some wish for. Twain might have been a
fallen Presbyterian, but he never forgot the thought
that we are not all that we could be. So, was he a
racist, or a realist?

Doug Bridges