From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:05:39 -0500
In 2000, PBS ran a "Culture Shock" series that included an episode
called "Born to Trouble: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." A good
teacher's guide was developed for it and it is still online:

Huck Finn in Context: A Teaching Guide
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/teachers/huck/index.html

I don't know if the episode is still available to watch. It doesn't seem to
be listed in the PBS store but some libraries might have it.

Another resource that might be good to introduce was published in the
Mark Twain Circular in 1999:

"In Praise of 'Spike Lee’s Huckleberry Finn' by Ralph Wiley," by Shelley
Fisher Fishkin
http://faculty.citadel.edu/leonard/od99wiley.htm

It introduces a film script by Ralph Wiley and there is a link at the top to
portions of the script. Twain very successfully hid his authorial voice
when writing Huckleberry Finn, and many readers have trouble
understanding how that works -- that it is Huck who is talking and only
his view of the world that we're introduced to. Wiley's script supplies a
well-informed authorial voice that can help people to understand the
novel. Shelley Fisher Fishkin's introduction discusses her use of the
script in the classroom. I don't know if it has ever been used to address
a challenge to the book but it seems to me that it might be very useful
for that.

Jim