From:
"Lee, Judith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 13:07:34 -0400
This is an interesting question, Hal, especially in light of research on birth order and parental investment—that is, on social and biological forces outside of individual biography.  Of course Langdon was the first born, but since he did not survive long, Susy as the oldest held that privileged position, well known for the intensity of parental investment of time and care (the parents among us can check our own photo albums for the overabundance of baby pictures of the oldest kid, compared to younger ones!).

I think of this first-born bias often when I hear parents who’ve sent their oldest child to a big-name private college express the sense they got pushed into a prestige choice that they would not make for a younger one. But these are just anecdotal responses to underscore my sense that many factors may have given Susy a privileged place in the Clemens family and Sam's heart even apart from her evident charm, intelligence, and literary ambitions.

Judith