Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2015 19:19:11 -0800
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
I am still working my way through Levy's book as well and I did read
this section.  Strictly supposition but I can't see Cable becoming a
louse just because he received the greater attention in the press. Twain
did display jealous reactions; decreasing Cable's show time, scheduling
him to the assembling of the house at the beginning of the show. This
occurred earlier in the tour.  It is also not until February that
Cardwell mentions JB Pond's observation that the servants at Everett
House hated Cable.

I think what was really going on was a couple of guys that didn't fit
too well together, forced to spend too much time in each others
company, both with well fed egos, both with habits that annoyed the
other.  Neither shared compatible diversions. I can't speak to the
scholarship of either author, Cardwell or Levy, so I don't know who
might have the better insight.  Both are guilty of the "Twins of
Genius" error and I have to admit I'm still bothered by Levy's
"promotion" of the pilots to the rank of captain - even if the original
promotion appears to have come from Life magazine. (otherwise I find it
an admirable book that I can't recommend too often).

Speaking for myself, though, if I had experienced the raw selfish
stupidity of the "Innocent Pilgrims" and their treatment of their
animals purely for the sake of not traveling on the Sabbath, I would
hold a life long grudge against those insisting on keeping the Sabbath
at the expense of all others.  In Twain's case with Cable, another
annoyance.  Cable was not torturing animals to keep his Sabbath.