Sender:
From:
terry oggel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:15:03 -0400
List Folk--

I agree about having people read the Patriot Act II.  B. Crimmins' point
about the way the U.S. government (different from the U.S. [I guess]) is
curtailing liberties at home in the name of broader liberties in Iraq is
well made.

Tonight I will hear Nina Totenberg speak.  According to the paper, one of
the main topics she'll talk on is exactly that--the Patriot Act and the
federal judiciary's (incl. the Supreme Court's) role in enforcing it.

I think we'd better keep an eye on Orrin Hatch (R Utah).  I think he's the
one who wants to extend the Act past its sunset of '05, which sunset was
the way it got passed a year ago?  Worse yet, he's being named as a likely
nominee for the Supreme Court, when, this summer, one or two justices
(Rehnquist, for one) are expected to resign.  Oh, oh.

Terry Oggel