From:
Dave Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:04:40 -0500
https://www.edseditions.com/pages/books/192304/mark-twain/the-adventures-of-colonel-sellers-edited-with-an-introduction-notes-by-charles-neider

I'm reading in this version, while I wait for my Library of American volume
to come in the mail.
In it, Neider took the liberty of excising Warner's chapters, leaving
SLC's, and explained why he thought that was a good idea. Apparently
Doubleday (the publishers) thought so as well. I guess there was market
demand for 'new' Twain works in the American book market at the time.

What is anyone's view of Neider's editorial work on MT, nowadays? He got
out several volumes of Twain material -- (see list below) --the stuff that
was on the shelves when I first wandered into my Jr. High School library in
the late 60's. I read and enjoyed his edition of the Autobiography, which
included some previously unpublished chapters and excellent period
photographs, including the "rocking chair" series which SLC annotated.

Like Holbrook, Neider did a lot of this Twain-related work during the last
decade of  Clara Clemens's life and tenure of the Estate.

From Wikipedia--

"Neider edited a major edition of the Autobiography of Mark Twain,
published in 1959. In this, he expressed regret that Twain's daughter Clara
Clemens would not permit him to include Samuel Clemens' dictations from
June 1906 (the 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd, and 25th).[6]

"Other Mark Twain Publications he edited include:

   - The Complete Short Stories of Mark Twain (1957)
   - The Autobiography of Mark Twain (1959)
   - The Complete Humorous Sketches and Tales of Mark Twain (1961)
   - Mark Twain: Life As I Find It (1961)
   - The Travels of Mark Twain (1961)
   - Complete Essays of Mark Twain (1963)
   - The Adventures of Colonel Sellers (1965)
   - The Complete Travel Books of Mark Twain (1966)
   - Mark Twain (1967)
   - The Comic Mark Twain Reader (1977)
   - The Selected Letters of Mark Twain (1972)
   - A Tramp Abroad (1977)
   - Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrims and Other Salutary Platform Opinions
   (1984)
   - Papa: An Intimate Biography of Mark Twain by Susy Clemens (1985)
   - Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1985)
   - Mark Twain at His Best: A Comprehensive Sampler (1986)
   - The Outrageous Mark Twain (1987)."

(The ones in that listing that were authored entirely by Neider, I don't
know anything about.)

Thoughts?  /DDD