From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 10:52:27 -0400
     Yesterday's double dose of depressing news struck close to home on
both fronts. My last book was published by a university press (Kent
State University Press, which seems to be holding on during these
difficult times). And I work for a newspaper (Cleveland's Plain Dealer,
which seems to be holding on, as well). So the Missouri and New Orleans
announcements were as alarming as they were distressing. When I learned
late in the day that a dear friend has been hit with shingles (a badly
named affliction if there ever was one), I was afraid to leave the
house. Obviously not a day for happy news.
      About a year ago, I asked Twain pal David Bianculli if he had
noticed that everything we grew up cherishing and holding dear was under
fire: books, libraries, theater, newspapers, publishing, literary
fiction. He'd noticed. And all of these things, it seems to me, have
contributed and would continue to contribute to the quality of our lives
and the vitality of our democracy.
     I'm not one to curse change and shake my fist at the sky. I know
about adapting. I've done enough adapting over the last 35 working years
to make Darwin pass out. And I'm no Luddite, as the ability to post to
this forum might suggest. But as much as I admire Ray Bradbury, I must
agree with Terrell. Ray got the science-fiction cautionary tale wrong.
It should have been about a voracious beast consuming everything in its
path.