From:
robert a dagnall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 09:52:22 MST
Alan C. Reese writes:
"I think, and here I agree with Hoffman, the climate of the time permits
such issues to be deemed fair ground, indeed almost invite such exploratory
examination. Look at how we scrutinize political candidates. The need to
know
everything overrides common sense."

Or, paraphrased, literary criticism overrides common sense.

Incidentally, how do you agree with Hoffman if you believe that "this
interest
in the sexuality of Twain shows a lack of imagination on the part of newer
scholars to the field"? You don't sound convinced that such studies are
a legitimate use of time (here insert the voice from Mel Brooks' _The
Critic_:
'he coulda done something with himself...he coulda...made a
shoe...something').

Robert Dagnall