Sender:
From:
Hillary Murtha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:40:41 -0400
> Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows if Twain felt an interest in southern
Reconstruction, "carpetbaggers," and the KKK, and if so what his opinions
were, and what sources there are for the information. I found nothing in
Kaplan's biography, and I've looked through Twain's published notebooks
without discovering anything, either. The best I've done so far is to
discover that he had copies of "carpetbagger" Albion Tourgee's books in his
library (courtesy of Patti Philippon of the Twain House). I do find many
sentiments in Tourgee's works that I feel sure that Twain would have agreed
with, and which are in fact echoed in his own writings.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Hillary Murtha
Ph.D candidate