Sender:
From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:45:20 -0700
Sam's first sojourn away from home included a leg from Chicago, Illinois
to Monroe, Michigan, where he took a steamer across Lake Erie.  All the
references I've found regarding this trip have said he traveled first to
Toledo and then Monroe.  I've not seen any corroborating evidence from
Twain and my study of the railroads of that time suggest he traveled
straight through Adrian and into Monroe on the Michigan Southern and
Northern Indiana Rail Road. There was no reason for him to detour to
Toledo. This line would later become the Lake Shore and Michigan
Southern Railway.