From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 15:51:56 -0600
This is a general thank you to all those who responded to my recent query.

By way of saying thanks, below is a short review I just wrote for CHOICE
magazine on a related subject.  I've passed the book along to a friend, so I
don't have any further bibliographical information handy.

Mensh, Mary and Harry. BLACK, WHITE IN HUCKLEBERRY FINN: RE-EXAMINING THE
AMERICAN DREAM.

This 118 page discussion Is a rare addition to Mark Twain studies, a fresh
and useful re-examination of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn challenging
many prevailing notions about its place in the classroom and meanings
currently championing the book's controversial ending.  The mench's First
discuss the history of the novel's changing position in the academic canon,
and provide context by looking at slavery in that book and its predecessor,
Adventures of Tom Sawyer. One especially useful chapter details the
influence of minstrel show characters and slave narratives on the book's
composition. Helpful insights are provided during discussions of minor slave
characters and how they reflect on the attitudes of Huck and Jim.   The
analysis of the novel's plot, however, is marred by many attempts to point
to flaws in Twain's fiction by showing how events and characters are neither
logical nor probable. Despite its short length, this study looks at racial
relationships in a wider and more objective context than some previous
full-length explorations of this subject. The conclusion stops short of
advocating banning the book but clearly questions the need to have it on
required reading lists.

Note: the 118 page length is the body of the book, but there are many
helpful appedices of notes.