From:
"Williams, Nathaniel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:10:03 +0000
I'd second the recommendation of Driscoll's recent article.  _Tom and Huck Among the Indians_ has the interesting element of a white frontiersman (Brace Johnson) who converts to Plains Indians' religious beliefs.  The big work that influenced him was Dodge's _Our Wild Indians_, and marginalia from his copy is reprinted in Gribben's library reconstruction.

Twain's opinions on the topic are covered in Stone's _The Innocent Eye_ and (if I recall correctly) Pfitzer's article on Twain and dime-novelist Edward S. Ellis.

Best wishes,

Nathaniel Williams
Lecturer, University of Kansas