From:
Tracy Wuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:26:14 -0600
 Hello all,

  I have been following the discussion of the Twain/Martin comedy discussion
with great interest, as my graduate work has included work on both of these
figures. As someone deeply interested in the distinction between the
humorous and the serious, the place of humor in society, and the greatness
of Mark Twain, the questions raised by the discussion seem quite important.

 As part of many of the replies to the discussion, people have mentioned
alternative possibilities for the award, as well as various criteria that an
award named after Twain should embody. As I thought of these questions this
afternoon, I struck upon an idea: an alternative award, not as a rebuke of
the Mark Twain Award for Humor, but as a way to further the legacy of Mark
Twain through a discussion of what such an award would mean.
 Is anyone interested in nominating a person for a "Mark Twain-L Award"?
Living or deceased, funny or not, serious and/or humorous--writer, comedian,
movie star, inventor, steamboat pilot, traveler, etc. I would be interested
to know who people would nominate for such an award and what the criteria
for such an award could be.

Tracy Wuster
American Studies, UT Austin