From:
Ron Hohenhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2013 22:00:43 +1000
	Isn’t it great to see the name 'Artemus Ward' again bei

	Isn’t it great to see the name 'Artemus Ward' again being linked
with SLC. Kevin Mac Donnell’s research on the pseudonym is such an
attractive piece of analysis, I hope hundreds subscribe to MTJ just to
read his complete argument.

	Personally, I’ve always felt that any reading of Ward brought me a
little closer to Twain, particularly his Comstock years. And I have
Larry Berkove to thank for that.

	 A somewhat related question -- does anyone know the full name of
H.W. Bergen, Twain’s agent in the 1870s? I have the complete name
(somewhere) for Ward’s agent, E.P. Hingston (an Australian BTW) ,
but Bergen’s full name seems illusive for some odd reason. A bigger
question: when did this tradition of using  initials originate for
managers and agents? Can we blame Phineas T. Barnum? Or does it go
back further?

	I was recently told that the late 20th century animator Chuck Jones,
creator of Wile E. Coyote, attributed inspiration for his hit cartoon
character to a chapter of _Roughing It_. Don't remember anything about
a Coyote in _Roughing It,_ will have to re-read it. Ron Hohenhaus
Brisbane, Australia

Email sent using Optus Webmail