From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2019 08:15:01 -0500
Conjecture, maybe, but conjecture with supporting facts.  Charles Farrar Browne was, in fact, setting type for “The Carpet-Bag” when Sam’s piece was published in the May 1, 1852 edition.  Given the short life of the publication, and its size, it’s likely that Browne, who also wrote for the publication under the pen-name “Chub,” was its only typesetter and set the type for “The Dandy Frightening the Squatter.”  It’s known that Browne published at least six pieces for “The Carpet-Bag” in its brief existence, including pieces for the 4/17/52 and 6/19/52 editions, book-ending the edition with Sam’s piece.  Given Sam’s obvious familiarity with “The Carpet-Bag,” it’s hardly a stretch to believe he was well aware, in 1861 and 1863, of Artemus Ward’s “Vanity Fair,” the publication from which Ward generously donated “Mark Twain.”

Sent from Mail for Windows 10