From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2020 13:09:43 -0700
For those concerned with The Long Trip through The Holy Land I have run
into a puzzle, where exactly is Jonesborough.  Day By Day has it at Kefr
Hauer and Strathcarron has it at Quneitra.

The pilgrims departed Damascus and reached the point where Saul saw the
light, Al Kiswah.  From here Twain says only that they camped that night
at Jonesborough.

"After nightfall we reached our tents, just outside of the nasty Arab
village of Jonesborough. Of course the real name of the place is El
something or other, but the boys still refuse to recognize the Arab
names or try to pronounce them."

The Kefr Hauer route seems the most expedient but the Quneitra provides
the best reason for having to avoid El Yuba Dam.

"We left Jonesborough very early in the morning, and rode forever and
forever and forever, it seemed to me, over parched deserts and rocky
hills, hungry, and with no water to drink. We had drained the goat-skins
dry in a little while. At noon we halted before the wretched Arab town
of El Yuba Dam, perched on the side of a mountain, but the dragoman said
if we applied there for water we would be attacked by the whole tribe,
for they did not love Christians. "
//